Thursday, August 6, 2009

Trying something new with my vision correction

We have good vision insurance these days, I'm out of contact lenses, and dh is thinking he might need both distance AND closeup correction, so I made appointments for us both.

My appointment was this morning. To make a long story short, I called the doctor on his "bedside manner" because it was appalling. He apologized and was much more friendly and approachable after that. I'll have to decide whether I want to go back to him next year or not.

I have horrible distance vision and am needing closeup correction now at the age of 47. I'm thinking bifocal glasses next year, but as I said, I am out of contact lenses, so that was my choice for this year. I can choose one or the other each year and the insurance pays most of the cost.

I wanted to try correcting my far/near vision with contacts and there are two main ways to do that. One is by under correcting one eye for close work while properly correcting the other eye for distance. The other method is using matching contact lenses that are either weighted so the lower part stays low and then they operate like regular bifocal glasses, or contacts with concentric circles with close correction on the outside and distance in the center. I decided on the first method, mostly because it is about half the price of getting the special contacts.

I tend to use my right eye for close work so that eye is under corrected right now. I feel a little queasy but I understand that is normal at first. I have a tester pair and am supposed to use them for a couple of weeks until my next appointment. They we'll decide if that option is going to work or not. I can always change my mind and just have my right eye corrected for distance and go to reading glasses.

I'm a little perturbed because I'm not getting the left eye as sharply focused as I think it was before, but the doctor said the prescription is right but it might be because two eyes focusing on one thing focus better than only one eye focusing on something.

Watch this space for exciting updates.

2 comments:

  1. You are somewhat following a family trait.
    dx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That made me squint just reading it. :) I hope this ends up working well for you.

    Tina

    ReplyDelete