Wednesday, August 5, 2009

A summer day in the Southwest USA

I know, I know, my faithful readers are going to get darned tired of seeing our thermometer on this blog, but although I grew up with summer temperatures like this, I haven't lived there (Sacramento) in 30 years, so this kind of stuff seems new and interesting to me. Anyway, we had the neighbor boy and his mother over to swim this morning. Gotta say . . . when you're in the pool or wet from the pool you're very comfortable despite crazy temperatures. The pool water was the clearest it's ever been this morning. I could see the bottom in the shallow end and could fuzzily see the automatic cleaner down 10-11 feet in the deep end. I wish I knew which of the many measures we've taken to clear the cloudiness is working because then we'd do more of it.

Dh is home studying for an exam this afternoon. It's nice to have everyone home.



The natural foods market near us (Sunflower Farmer's Market, similar to Trader Joe's) has great produce and advertises they have "Silly Prices." I wouldn't exactly say the prices are all cheap, but they have good specials and I don't think their food is over-the-top expensive. The item that caught my eye today was on the front page: Bartlett pears 3 lbs/$1. Those are canning prices to me, ones I haven't seen since I lived in Nampa, Idaho, in the midst of dozens of orchards. I hopped right on over to the store and bought two cases of 36 lbs each. I think I should have bought one more and will probably go back in a day or two. A hundred pounds of pears will only make about 3 dozen quart jars and that is about the amount I want. So another box it will be. I also have to pick up more sugar. I haven't done any large-scale canning like this in a few years and I half dread it for the work and half look forward to it for the sense of satisfaction I get when it's done and I have all that lovely fruit for my family to enjoy later. As pear canners know, 72 pounds of pears today doesn't mean 72 pounds of pears canned tomorrow. I'll pick them out of the boxes as they ripen and do them over a few days once they start turning yellow.

3 comments:

  1. What a trip down memory lane! Where were the pears grown?
    dx

    ReplyDelete
  2. you will need a new themometer.....it only goes to 120! How are you going to know what the temp is when it gets hot. btw-I dont want it - it only goes to -60 :)
    wp

    ReplyDelete
  3. dx, they were grown in Courtland, California, according to the box. Or at least that's where they were packed. It looks like a postage stamp south of Sacramento, west of Elk Grove, North of Rio Vista and east of Vacaville and Fairfield.

    wp, between the two of us we'd just about use both ends of that thermometer and everything in between. It was 123 in Yuma, Arizona last week. ~gasp~

    ReplyDelete