Sunday, August 16, 2009

A surprise and a musing

Dh was asked two weeks ago to speak in Church today. Last night I read a talk that was given by President Hinckley (our beloved prophet and church president who died about 18 months ago) that dh was using as a basis for his talk. Today when I got to church I picked up a copy of the program to see his name written. What I saw was my OWN name above his!! What????? No one asked me to speak! I checked to see if there was a mistake and there was--someone had forgotten to ask me to speak! I told them I would come up with something in 30 minutes.

I opened the hymn book and found a song that was on the topic I was asked to address. That gave me some other ideas and the talk started to take shape. I've never, ever given a talk in church off the cuff like that and it's not something I think I do well. However, with a little family introduction here and a few pieces of practical advice there and a bit of help from Heavenly Father, I managed to come up with about ten minutes of speaking time. I think it went fine, and I never mentioned my short prep time.

A musing . . . my last baby starts school tomorrow. My very last baby. I haven't anticipated this day with either happiness or sadness, but have just watched it march closer and closer. My first child started school in 1991, eighteen years ago. This is sure to be a new and exciting era in our family and for me personally.

3 comments:

  1. goodness me.you did well to step up to the plate for that!!!!

    S can't be starting school.....???you are joking right???she is still a little iddy biddy thing?????????????????

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. Nothing like having plenty of time to prepare, huh? I'm sure you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cant stand people who get up to the pulpit and share there story of short prep time or how the bishopric cornered them etc. Good for you for taking it on the chin and doing your best - that’s how you make yourself available for blessings. Good Job Girl!

    ReplyDelete