Saturday, March 21, 2009

A surprise Relief Society lesson

I'm the Education counselor in our ward's Relief Society (women's group in our church) which means I'm in charge of all the teachers (one for each Sunday of the month) and the music. We've had only a single teacher since our ward was reconfigured the first Sunday of January. Every week in church I hope someone will be called but week after week goes by with no RS teacher callings.

This month we had Stake Conference on the 1st so there was no lesson that Sunday. Since there is no "second Sunday of the month" teacher, I dutifully taught that lesson. I found a willing substitute for the third Sunday and it was nice to not be up there teaching. I was looking forward to the fourth Sunday because that teacher is an older lady whom I just love. She has a cheerful outlook and tells just the right little stories to illustrate her lessons. Friday I got a call from the RS president telling me the older teacher is in the hospital! She had a mild heart attack and is in the hospital in Albuquerque. I was so surprised because you don't expect your friends to have medical problems. So my thoughts have been with her and also on the fact that the RS ladies are going to have to hear from ME again! Haha. After the happy expectation of a lesson from the lovely, lively older lady, their little faces will droop when they see me up there again.

The lesson is based on Henry B. Eyring's talk "Our Hearts Knit as One" which he gave in the October 2008 General Conference. I've read it through a couple of times but I still think this lesson is going to be mostly my reading the talk and introducing talking points that ocurred to me as I read it. I hope my older friend gets well soon and I hope some RS teachers are called soon so the ladies don't have to listen to me week after week after week . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment