Thursday, March 26, 2009

Milling wheat and thrift store shopping

I didn't plan to go out this morning, other than taking the big girls to school, then walking S to preschool. However, when I was getting S's lunch ready I realized I was also looking at C's lunch left on the counter as we hurried out the door this morning. Oh well. That's the first time this school year so I decided to drive S to preschool, then take C's lunch to her.

Once I was out I decided to go pick up a prescription I dropped off a few days ago. For the very first time, I had a really pleasant, personable tech at the window. The service is so surly at that pharmacy I don't think I'm going back again. Why should I? But this gal was a pleasant send-off for me.

In the same shopping area is a Goodwill store and I always like to browse. I didn't find any of the several kinds of housewares I'm always on the lookout for, nor did I find any Sue Barton books for my mom, but I did find this shirt for my dd. At first I thought it was a Spiderman shirt which would make E very happy. Then I realized it was a Speedo swim shirt with boy colors, but Hawaiian flowers, making it a girl shirt in my book. Since we are moving to a warmer climate soon with lots more opportunities for swimming, at $1.59 I snapped it up. We have one other Speedo swim shirt and the girls like it. I like that it protects them a little from sunburn and they don't seem to mind that it has a bit on the arms.

One project yesterday was to mill some whole wheat flour since I was out. I needed some bread and that pushed me to get it done. Here is the mill I use. I've had it for about two years and I like it a lot. It is REALLY loud which is why I always mill in the garage, but it makes really nice, fine flour.


Here is the 25 pound bag of wheat I'm working out of at the moment. I have two more bags like this in my garage that are not packaged for long-term storage, so I need to keep using them up.



The wheat goes in the top . . . .



And if I knew how to rearrange photos on blogspot this would have been the last picture. The lid comes off and there is a big bowl of fresh, warm, whole wheat flour.



This is the second-to-last picture and it shows how the bowl comes out of the mill.


I made two large loaves of bread and trust me, they were delicious.




No comments:

Post a Comment