Saturday, February 28, 2009

More baking


This seems to be turning into a food blog lately just because I've been on a bit of a roll in the kitchen. I noticed the pictures are all rather brownish, but that's probably because most things have whole wheat in them and, well, they're BAKED.

This morning I had five apple halves that needed to be used up so I looked for an apple coffee cake recipe. The only one I found in the cookbook used Bisquick which I don't generally keep on hand so I had to get creative.

Here is the recipe I used this morning along with what I actually used:

Sour Cream Coffee Cake (Betty Crocker Cookbook 2001 edition)

3 cups all-purpose or whole wheat flour (half white, half whole wheat)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups sugar (1 cup)
3/4 cup butter or stick margarine, softened (1/2 cup canola oil)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups sour cream (didn't have any sour cream so I used 3/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt and 3/4 cup vinegar-clabbered milk)

Brown sugar filling:
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup finely chopped nuts (medium chopped walnuts from KLM Farms--Butte City, California)
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

Added to the layers: a total of 2 1/2 sliced apples fanned out around the ring

Beat sugar, butter, vanilla and eggs in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat about one-fourth of the flour mixture and sour cream at a time alternately into sugar mixture on low speed until blended.

For Bundt cake pan, spread 1/3 of the batter in pan, spread 1/3 of the filling; repeat twice.

Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees. Cool 10 minutes in pan on wire rack. Remove from pan to wire rack. Cool 20 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. mmmmmmmmmmmmmm it all sounds lovely.but I HAVE to ask.what the heck is *vinegar-clabbered milk*???the mind boggles!!LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question! You know if you don't have buttermilk you can put some vinegar or lemon juice in a cup, then fill it to the measure you need with milk, then let it sit until it gets thick? That's clabbering and I put in extra vinegar because I wanted it to really thicken because I was trying to replace sour cream, not just something thinner like buttermilk.

    Katie

    Sorry to scare you. ;-)

    ReplyDelete