Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Such bad news from a friend

So sad. Every week I volunteer at the local elementary school library. The librarian was tearful today and I asked her if she was sad today. She said yes, and this is the story she told me: a year ago her seven year old granddaughter complained about a hurting leg and had multiple visits to the hospital to check it out. Some minor treatment ensued, but they couldn't see anything really problematic and didn't want to do a CAT scan because it would expose her to more radiation than they wanted to expose a little girl to.

At Christmas 2008 her mom finally convinced the doctors to do a CAT scan and it revealed cancer. Worse, they discovered it has spread to many places in her little body. She started chemo yesterday and is terribly sick. Her name is Kaela and her family would appreciate prayers being sent her way for healing, and comfort for her mother Tanya.

I think this kind of situation strikes fear deep into every parent's heart. ANY parent could have this happen. How do we as parents know when to heal an "owie" with a kiss and a hug and when to rush in for the best medical care available? As a mother this is my worst fear--something serious is wrong with my child and I don't know it until the situation is advanced.

3 comments:

  1. I am sorry to hear this.I will keep Kaela in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally relate to your fear, Katie. In long ago years of my young adulthood, I remember thinking that the worst thing that could possibly happen to me or a family member would be to have cancer. I have learned a little since then, including the fact that nothing can really cause permanent, everlasting trouble and sorrow, except doing without the blessings of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and the promise of eternal families in the Celestial Kingdom after our resurrection. It always seems to come back to that one solitary truth, and I am so grateful for the knowledge of it, and the hope that is ever-present because of it. I will keep Kaela in my prayers, and her mother, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Sara, you are right of course.

    ReplyDelete