Friday, February 20, 2009

Advice cookies?


When did fortune cookies become advice cookies? I'd say it was at least fifteen years ago and I don't like it. When I break open a fortune cookie I want to know what wonderful events will come into my life. In 1997 I opened a cookie in a Chinese restaurant in Bountiful, Utah while dining with my friend Bonnie and my fortune predicted a wonderful romance. I put that strip of paper on my mirror and sure enough, within six months I'd met my divine dh. See?

Last night we had take out from the teriyaki place down the hill from us. I guess Japanese places are into fortune cookies now too. Or maybe in my backward town folks don't realize fortune cookies are Chinese and teriyaki is Japanese and China and Japan are two different countries. Or they don't realize fortune cookies originated in California and only recently began to be made in China anyway.

Regardless, please determine which of these are fortunes and which are advice:
  • Do not dwell on differences with a loved one, try to compromise.
  • Your respect for others will be your ticket to success.
  • Your talents will prove to be especially useful this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment