Saturday, February 7, 2009

Taking advantage of lovely weather

Even though I live in the Southwest United States, that doesn't mean my weather is like that of Phoenix or Las Vegas. Those two locations are considered low desert and the weather there is searingly hot in the summer, hot at night, and very pleasant in the winter. I live in a high desert location at nearly 7,000 feet above sea level. The summers are hot and pleasant with cool nights and the winters bring snow and always subfreezing temps at night. So when we have a few days in the 50s (10+ for you Celsius users) I take advantage by hanging my laundry out to dry. This is the view out my laundry room window. In this load I bleached everything I could find that could take bleaching.

Using bleach always reminds me of my grandmother. My mom wasn't/isn't a big bleach user (probably why our clothes lasted a long time!), but my grandmother was. Until I was a young adult she had a wringer washer on her back porch, no dryer. She was on a country well and water was precious and she liked the wringer washer because she could make a load's worth of water go for several loads. The water in her kitchen sink came from two spigots in the wall under the window--a regular one for cold water and one that looked like a garden hose connection for the hot water. That was because she used a garden hose to snake across the kitchen floor and out the door to her washer when she wanted to wash whites. She'd glug in the bleach while the washer filled, shake in some detergent and set to it. When she was done with her wash, she'd pin it out on wire lines that zigzagged across her backyard. I remember the nice bleachy smell on the back porch and the white kitchen towels flapping in the breeze.

My clothes got the bleach and cold water treatment in a high-tech Kenmore Elite washing machine. But the line drying--it still works the same as it did for my grandmother.

2 comments:

  1. nothing like clean fresh washing from the line.
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have quite a memory for details from your younger years, Katie. I vaguely remember my mother using an ironing contraption where the clothes or linen item got pushed through a revolving press with heat, but I don't think I ever saw a wringer washer in my childhood, except at a museum. My grandma lived in an apartment from the earliest days of my life.
    Anyway, it is good for our souls to do some things in the simpler, low-tech way once in a while. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete