Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Cars

I had my car detailed this week and picked it up today. I've never had that done professionally before, but it was a bonus that came with something, so why not? It's amazing how having the car sparkling clean changed my impression of it. It's a nine year old basic Ford Windstar. Very, very low on the excitement scale. Oh, the two carseats and the booster don't add to the sexiness of it either. :-) Wouldn't trade those for anything though. I'm proud to have them strapped into my car.

Anyway, it looks so nice it almost feels new. And new is something I probably won't ever feel again when it comes to cars. My plan is to drive this van until my youngest is eight years old and can probably get out of a carseat/booster. That is a little over three years. Even though I've been driving a minivan for literally 20 years (well, two of them), the thought of trying to put three children into carseats in a sedan leaves me cold. So I'll keep the van until they are out of those seats. In the meantime, I'm saving for a new-to-me car. I want a Honda or Toyota four door sedan. I know, I know, another car low on the excitement scale, but that's what I want. That '79 Corvette will have to wait until I don't need more than two seats. That will be in, oh, about thirteen years, LOL!

Dh drives a Chevy Suburban, 12 years old. It's good for towing, hauling lots of tools, and lots of children as it is a nine-seater. We bought it used last year. The only bad thing about it, other than the awful mileage, is that the former owner had it in Phoenix and put really dark tinting on the windows. It is actually unsafe as it seriously impedes the view out, especially at night. Downright dangerous then. Dh is going to have the tinting removed from the windows this week. It's kind of depressing to sit in the rear of the car because it is so dark there. The kids won't know what hit them when the sun comes a-shinin' in!

I've driven two vehicles in the last twenty years. Dh has driven seven in the ten years we've been married, including the $100 car. But that's a story for another day.

3 comments:

  1. Well i HAD to go and look up what a *Ford Windstar* was...LOL
    We often have the same cars here but they have different names......


    I too,love my van......my girls each get a window which stops LOTS of fights........the middle seat can face either way which makes for a good picnic spot when it rains.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, Your story reminded me of a childhood memory. We used to ride over the Santa Monica Mountains on Sepulveda Boulevard each month for my older siblings orthodontist check ups, and since we all wanted the window seats in the old Pontiac station wagon ('54, I think), Mom judiciously decided that we needed to stop at the pass of the mountain, near the tunnel, and switch seats, so everyone would have equal time sitting by the window. Of course, seatbelts and A/C were not even imagined in those days, anyway. Good times.

    ReplyDelete