Friday, November 16, 2012

Today is my father-in-law's funeral

It has been several years since I attended a funeral of someone to whom I was close.  That one was so surprising and interesting that I hardly thought to shed a tear.

However.

I think Bill's family is a lot more sentimental than the family of my dear friend.  I think there will be a lot of crying.  Seeing someone cry almost always gets me misted up at a minimum.  I hate to cry in public.
This is what I'm going to do:  I'm going to think of my favorite memories of him.  I like to think of Bob seeing the funny side of life, like Alicia in her sneakers and wedding gown.  I like to think of his playing parlor games on an almost-weekly basis for 30 years with my mother-in-law and the same other couple.  I like to think of his shooting a deer deep in the woods and hauling it out by himself--with his wooden left leg.  I like to think of hearing his Korean War stories about his better-than-perfect eyesight.

I'm almost looking forward to the funeral to hear some other good stories about him!

No comments:

Post a Comment