Tuesday, October 2, 2012

I'm really disappointed!

My friend invited me to sing in an women's choir loosely associated with her children's school.  I've been longing to sing in a good community choir again after my excellent experience singing in the Gallup Community Choir for four years.
[This isn't actually my choir but I couldn't exactly take my camera along on a first visit now, could I?]

Everything was great until the conductor mentioned, kind of in passing, that it was, "Eighty bucks for ten rehearsals."  UGH.  I had asked my friend if it was a for-profit choir and she said she didn't think so.  Unfortunately, no one had told her it IS a for-profit choir.

My view is that if I'm going to volunteer to sing, I want the conductor and pianist to volunteer as well.  I don't want to have to pay to volunteer, even though I enjoy singing.  I don't mind buying my own music or making a donation to give the conductor and pianist a gift on performance night, but I don't want to pay an up-front fee.

So, even though I enjoyed singing tonight, I'm not going to continue with the choir.  I hope my friend does though, so I'll have an excuse to attend the concert at Christmas time.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you. I do pay to volunteer with Scouts, but they run background checks and give me training opportunities during the year, so I don't mind that.

    ReplyDelete