Tuesday, September 11, 2012

September 11

Today I talked to my students about the events of September 11, 2001.

I was teaching in public school in Idaho and when I walked in the door that morning, the school secretary told me a plane had crashed into one of the World Trade Center buildings.  I remembered several years earlier when a small one or two passenger plane had crashed into a New York or Washington D.C. building and didn't give it much thought as I walked to my classroom. 

Nevertheless, I turned on my computer and went to a news site and was pretty shocked to realize it was a big jet that had crashed.  And then another.  And then one into the Pentagon.  And then one tower after the other crashed to the ground, crushing the survivors who were hurrying out of the buildings.  And then we found out a plane had crashed into a field in Pennsylvania and was probably part of the whole plot.

Unbelievable.

That night dh and I went to the mall because we didn't know what else to do.  Half the stores were open, half were closed.  The operators of the stores didn't know what to do either, and the mall was almost empty.

All American airplanes were grounded.  Ds was on his way from one military posting to another when the planes crashed and his plane was forced to land in Denver, Colorado, where he had to stay for several days while alternate transportation was arranged.

It was a strange, sad, scary time.

Today there is a new World Trade Center going up.  Osama Bin Laden, who planned the attacks, is dead.  However, no American who was past elementary school age in 2001 will forget that day.
Dick Cheney, who was vice-president of the United States on September 11, 2001, visiting the memorial to those killed that day.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment