Wednesday, August 29, 2012

How the girls got new shoes . . . that weren't

Just a few days ago I remembered I have had a box in the girls' closet for YEARS that has had an evolving supply of shoes in it. 

One day when I lived in Bitburg, Germany (that would have been 1994 or earlier), I went shopping at the BX and found a killer sale on children's shoes.  I remember the shoes averaged less than $5/pair and even then that was a great price.  The price was so good I just bought the ones I liked and didn't worry that some of them were too big.  Way too big, so I put them in a box for storage and as the kids grew, pulled shoes out for them.

Life got weird a few years after that and not all of the shoes got pulled out of the box.  Now and then I'd look in to see if anything fit Caroline, Elizabeth, or Sophia, but the last time I took something out was more than a year ago (Saltwater sandals that Kevin wore).

Last night after scripture and bedtime story reading, I took the box down one last time.  In it were a pair of sneakers, a pair of shiny dress shoes with a rosette on each toe, and the pair of brown penny loafers above.  Every pair fit someone and we are done with the box!

1 comment:

  1. Love those penny loafers. Wish I could find a pair like that.

    Your quilt turned out great!

    ReplyDelete