Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Vanilla Sugar

I haven't had our swamp cooler . . . oops . . . "evaporative cooler" on for a couple of weeks but the temps are around 80 today so I turned it on. My house is filled with the most lovely vanilla sugar smell from the wet excelsior pads in it.


Here is our swamp cooler. It's under the eves on the east side of the house in a shady location. It's ducted to four locations inside the house and is amazingly effective in our super-dry climate. Honestly, I don't know why anyone in my kind of climate would use refrigerated air conditioning, what with the cost to buy, install, and even more, to operate it.




Here is a scematic drawing of how it works in case you aren't familiar:




2 comments:

  1. Castro's Nemesis . . . Big DaddyJune 3, 2009 at 3:12 PM

    So why does the house smell like vanilla sugar?

    What I like about it is that it will cool the house to the low 70's even on days that are over 100 degrees! And our Tucson house has one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The vanilla sugar smell was coming from the damp excelsior that makes up the pads which was then exhausted into the house. Yum!

    ReplyDelete