Saturday, July 20, 2013

Lots of tomatoes today!

Today was Market on the Move which is the one that gives you up to 60 pounds of produce for a $10 donation.  It's produce that would have gone to the landfill in Nogales, Arizona because it was not picked up at the inspection station for one reason or another.
 
I needed a few more jars of spaghetti sauce and had a couple packets of Mrs. Wage's spaghetti sauce spice which I bought at a deep discount last year.  Time to get 'em made.
 
I had a full box of Roma tomatoes and about 3/4 of another one.  If you look closely you can see a tomato in this box I definitely did not use.  Part of the price for this kind of produce.
 
 I washed tomatoes in the right side, then cut the core out and removed the seeds before giving them a quick dip in boiling water to make the skins slip off.  Excess skin and cores went in to the compost bucket.
 The tomatoes in the orange bowl were cooling enough for me to remove the skins and put the tomatoes in the Ninja blender.
 In the back is the spaghetti sauce and on the front burner the front is the first batch of tomato puree.  That's what I made with the excess tomatoes since I already had enough salsa and diced tomatoes in jars on the pantry shelf.
 The result was 17 jars of spaghetti sauce and tomato puree in various sizes, mostly pints.

No comments:

Post a Comment