Saturday, January 31, 2009

Stacked Squares Quilt


This was Sophia's Christmas present, given to her less than a month after Christmas! I actually thought I would have it done before Christmas but I misjudged the amount of backing fabric I needed and when I went back to Walmart to get more/another piece, there were NO bolts of logical fabric with at least the six yards I needed. That's one of the disadvantages of living in a small town--limited ability to get specialty items.
I waited until I took ds to the airport in Albuquerque after Christmas and went to Hancock Fabrics. Wow. I don't know how people who have access to that kind of store all the time contain themselves. Maybe it's because they do have access and know they can return any time. Anyway, I got the fabric I needed and it was nicer than what I could get at Walmart at only a little more per yard. I was very pleased.
It took me awhile to do the machine quilting. I don't even want to think how long hand quilting takes. I sewed the binding on by machine on the front, then by hand on the back. That took several days, but I'm glad I did it by hand and not by machine.
I call it a Stacked Squares quilt because the tri-color squares are not pieced. The biggest piece is put down, then the medium and small squares are simply stacked on top and sewn down. Here is a tutorial that gives a better description than I have here. After each square is made, then it's sewn together and the rest is the same as any other kind of quilt.
It looks really nice on dd's bed. Very shabby chic and I love it.

2 comments:

  1. It looks great!!!well done you!!!!
    I have to admit being overwhelmed in fabric shops..........There is waaaaaaaaaaay too much stuff to look at and it sends me little ADD brain into overdrive!!!!

    aussie hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a gorgeous keepsake, Katie! Congratulations! I, too, get overwhelmed in the huge fabric market here in Seoul, so I go there and focus on just a few things on a list, and then hit the Happy Quilt vendor as my last stop, where I always know I can find something to use sooner or later. But I have not yet attempted anything really ambitious. I do think that grandparenting will change that soon enough, however!

    ReplyDelete