Sunday, April 15, 2012

I bought myself a few hours of work yesterday

Yesterday was Market on the Move, the program that lets you buy up to 60 pounds of product for $10. It was raining, so after Bountiful Baskets I drove over to the distribution point, thinking the line would be short. Not so. It looked to be about 45 minutes long and they still had 10 minutes before opening time. I took a quick look to see what they had, but decided that since I didn't have a coat let alone an umbrella, I didn't want to stand in the rain waiting. And I wasn't sure I wanted to can anything anyway.

Bill and I went out later and we drove by to see if the line was shorter. It wasn't.

Still later, on our way home, we drove by again and there was no line at all. Ugh. Decisions, decisions. I didn't really have anything planned for the day, but I didn't really want to can anything either. In the end opportunity won, so we picked up

Cucumbers
Zucchini
Yellow squash
Bell peppers
Grape tomatoes
Small slicing tomatoes
50 lbs of Roma tomatoes

Since we already had most of these things from Bountiful Baskets, we got them for our neighbors. I was especially interested in the 50 lbs of Roma tomatoes.

I found a recipe for spaghetti sauce and started slicing and dicing. I used my food strainer (Vittorio strainer) and that made processing the tomatoes go much faster than I expected.

Would you be surprised to hear 50 pounds of Roma tomatoes makes only about 11 1/2 quarts of spaghetti sauce?

No comments:

Post a Comment