Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Mardi Gras treat

No, I'm not Catholic nor am I in New Orleans, but how could I pass up a chance to celebrate with some food? Today I made King Cake, which is actually more like a cinnamon roll ring than a cake. I used this recipe, but don't look because you'll see how beautiful theirs is in the picture!

I made the dough in my bread machine but had to add quite a bit more flour. Otherwise I'd have had to pour the dough out of the bread pan. After rolling it out, putting cinnamon sugar on half, folding, crimping, and cutting in three pieces, I braided it. That's some of the cinnamon sugar you can see there at the bottom of the picture.
While it was baking, Caroline made three bowls of colored sugar and once it was out and iced, I sprinkled the colors on. Next time I must move faster though--in our ultra-dry air, some of the icing set up before I got all the sugar on!
And last of all, I put a small plastic baby into the King cake. Whoever finds it gets good luck for the coming year.

No comments:

Post a Comment