Sunday, February 19, 2012

Homemade seed tapes

A week or two ago I made seed tapes with seeds of spinach, kale, and beets. Here is how I did it:
I pulled off toilet paper and folded it up, then cut it lenghthwise in thirds. On each long piece I put drops of white glue as far apart as the seed package said for planting, then put a seed or two on each dot. The tape with two seeds per dot used older seeds and I was trying to ensure something would sprout from each set. I'll thin the seedlings if necessary.

I kept lifting each tape periodically so it didn't stick to the counter as it dried. Once dry, I rolled each tape loosely and put it in a bag until planting time.

This post is linked up at:
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. That is such a great idea! Would make planting time go much faster! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete