Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Today we are taking down the tree

A few years ago one of my friends solved a very minor problem in my life. I had three graduation tassels and didn't really know what to do with them (NOT hang them from my rearview mirror!), but didn't want to throw them away. My friend put hers on her Christmas tree every year. I've been doing the same ever since. I think they look pretty, I know where they are, and for a couple of weeks each year I can prove I graduated from something.

One little story about the one on the left--I went to a four-year high school and my senior year, all three of the kids in my family were at the same school. At graduation time our school chose dark red "disposable" gowns (vs. rented), so, with an eye to the future, I bought mine a little long. Two years later my brother L wore my cap and gown, and a year later my brother M wore the same outfit. We all had the same tassel as well, but I ended up with it because it was for my graduation year. So this is really the "family tassel."

In the fall I saw an online "quilt-along" with instructions to make a Christmas tree skirt. I'd been using the same one for about 25 years and it was long over due to be replaced. It took me awhile to get started, but I made this tree skirt during the fall and had it under the tree before Christmas. I'd never pieced a quilt like this before and it was fun to see the design appear as I sewed pieces together.

No comments:

Post a Comment