Saturday, January 14, 2012

A Saturday morning with my honey

Dh was going to take older ds to the monthly "Coffee and Cars" this morning, but ds wanted to sleep instead. So I got to go. :-) Anyone who wants to show his or her car just comes to the parking lot at a high-end mall here in town and parks it. No fees, no entrance cards, or anything, just show up. Our car is the one on the left.
Some of the shows we go to now and then have more of an antique or muscle car vibe to them. At least today, this one seemed to have more of an "exotic cars" theme going on. Lots of Ferraris and Lotuses. All that said, I'm an all-American girl, so my favorites were the Chevy Corvettes. Quite a few newer ones, but I favor the C-3s and there was only one today.

One of my life's goals is to own a C-3 Corvette some day. I want a driver, not a show piece though, because I want to DRIVE it.

This one is German, but such a fun car with the surfboard on the roof and you can't see it, but a child's Lego project was on the back seat.
On the way home we drove through quite a few different neighborhoods until we were driving through one that has lots of Mexicans and Mexican-Americans living in it. We passed a grocery store that I'd heard had terrific prices on produce, so we stopped in. Trust me, even in the southwestern United States, the average grocery store doesn't have a display like this:

In addition to lots of fresh fruits, vegetables, and rice, I picked up a bag with about 8 still-warm fire-roasted New Mexico green chilis. I've never had them freshly roasted, but I knew I could figure out how to process them when I got home. All I did was scrape off the thin burned skin, cut off the tops, slit open the side and scrape out the seeds and ribs. Then I chopped them into tiny pieces and froze them in 4 oz portions, just like buying a can of chopped green chilis, except 1/5 the price and 3xs the flavor!

The last thing I saw on our way home was one of my favorite things to ever see:

No comments:

Post a Comment