Friday, February 26, 2010

Getting the garden started

The girls were out of school today and the weather so nice that we got started on our garden. We're in Arizona and I've never gardened here, so I'm going to see what works. Can it get too hot for watermelon, cantaloupe, and pumpkins? I haven't lived in a long summer area since I was a teenager, so this is my first chance to try melons.

The girls and I planted "grape" tomato seeds, cantaloupe, watermelon, and basil seeds. We have spinach to plant as soon as we get some compost to work into the little garden patch I dug up, and the pumpkin seeds to plant in the dirt in about a month. Oh, and I bought some sunflower seeds tonight. We had great success with them last year.

I've never planted "greens," so the spinach is kind of an experiment.

In addition I pruned the small, neglected rosebush in the back yard. Maybe I did it right. At least it looks more open and like we'll actually be able to see any roses that manage to bloom.

The final two tasks were chemical-related. So much for organic gardening. I fertilized the orange and grapefruit trees. I just remembered I didn't fertilize the lemon tree. It needs it the worst, but it's in a different part of the yard and I forgot about it. In addition, I put down a pre-emergent weed killer on the rocks that cover the yard in the front. I should have done it a month ago before the rains came and weeks and Mesquite trees started growing, but better late than never. I've actually never used this kind of thing and hope I put down the correct amount.

So there it is--my yard-busy day, although if you were to look at it, you'd never know how busy I was. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment