Saturday, February 6, 2010

Glorious day

That's what today was. It started fairly early for a Saturday. It's dh's month to be in charge of the Saturday morning church cleaning and no one showed up. He was frustrated, but I'll come back to that.

Today was my second Bountiful Baskets food co-op day. C and I walked over to the park and arrived an hour early which is the time for the volunteers to arrive. It was perfect. THEN I realized I didn't have my own basket with me to take the food home!! So C and I hotfooted it home, got our basket, and drove the van back over. We were 15 minutes late, but worked hard and had fun distributing the fruits and veggies into the 96 pairs of baskets. It seemed like we got more last time, but it was still a nice selection of food. These two pictures were taken of the front and back of the same food as it sat on the counter. C was the photographer. The most interesting thing was the jicama. I've had it at luncheons and that sort of thing, but I've never had it in my home. It is crunchy and lightly sweet. Everyone liked it. Oh, and the only place I've ever eaten Asian pears (in the netting) is . . . well, Asia. They are like a really juicy apple with a little bit of the grit you get in a pear. Very tasty. We had one at lunch today.


After that we all went back over to the church to help dh get all the chairs set up. Our chapel has fixed pews, but some of the other large classrooms have folding chairs and those are put up and taken down each week. I'm really not sure why the ladies' meeting room really needs to be vaccuumed each week, but for now that's how it's done.

Once that was done we decided we didn't want to spend Saturday at home so we headed east of town to Saguaro National Park. If you ever wanted to see saguaro (suh-hwar-oh) cacti, that is the place. We had stopped for lunch fixings on the way in so ate lunch near the visitors' center, then went on a short ranger-led walk to learn about leaf adaptation of desert plants. It was interesting and informative. Then we decided to part with the $$ for an annual park pass and we headed for the wilderness part. Well, we drove the 8 mile loop through the wilderness park and took one of the interpretive trails. Fascinating. We'll be back. We hope to take visitors (gwp and his dd have first dibs if they want) and summer teens there as well. With sunny skies and temperatures in the mid-60s, the weather today was perfect. Couldn't have had nicer.

I had been noticing the girls were short on jeans so we stopped in at the mall to visit The Children's Place. We got four pairs of jeans and three skirt and shirt sets. The girls are going to look cute.


We got skirts in pink, blue, and green.

Last, we decided to go look for the school that wants to merge with our school. We'd love to have them come to our school and they'd love to have us at theirs. Of course. No one wants their own school to close and everyone wants more children at theirs to help insure it doesn't close in the future either. I'll have to say I was not too impressed with the physical facilities of the other school. Our school is nicer, in a better location, and has more students than the other. It is clear they should move to our school next year, but I understand why they don't prefer that option.

We got home to a house that smelled like BBQ. I had some BBQ baby back ribs in the slow cooker that smelled divine. I microwaved some ears of corn, heated up a big can of Bush's baked beans, sliced up some of that jicama and had dinner on the table in no time.

It was a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment