Monday, July 30, 2012

Lemonade Cheesecake

Did you see my recipe link on the weekly menu post?  I made lemonade cheesecake pie this morning and it was almost perfect.  The "almost" is that one of the recipe reviewers suggested doubling the lemonade powder and I wish I hadn't.  It was nearly too sour, although the flavor was good.

The "perfect" part was that the filling was smoooooooth and that's hard to do with the fat free cream cheese called for in the recipe.  You couldn't tell it wasn't the full-fat version.  Chalk that up to a hot kitchen and really leaving it until it was room temperature.

I intended to suck it up and buy a premade graham cracker pie crust, but when I got to the store and saw even the cheap ones were $2.50, I just couldn't.  Instead I bought a box of the cheapest graham crackers they had, ran about a quarter of the package through my salad shooter, mixed in a little sugar and melted butter, pressed it into a pan, and baked it in my little toaster oven for 10 minutes, then froze it.  It took about 8 minutes of prep plus the baking and cooling time and cost about 50 cents and I didn't waste an aluminum pan or plastic lid that would have come with the store-bought one.

Here is what was left after everyone had a slice after Family Home Evening.  Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment