Friday, April 17, 2009

A strange, strange experience

Dh was visiting my parents a week or two ago and brought home a video for me. I made it around Christmas/New Year 1990-1991 at Comiso Air Station, Sicily, Italy and sent it to my parents so they could see my children, my townhouse, and a few things in town. I hadn't seen it since I sent it to them, so 18+ years.

On it I saw a friend I very recently reconnected with via Facebook, along with her two tiny children who are now in college. I saw how I looked with chiseled facial structure vs. the soft and saggy face I have now. I saw myself with a 25" waist. Won't even tell you what it is now. I saw my now-married son when he was still having minor speech articulation problems due to being only 4 years old. I saw my dd who is a mother now as a baby who gallumped across the floor because she didn't yet crawl. I took a tour of my old townhouse that was virtually identical to my memory of it.

Ds2 was not even imagined at that point and certainly none of the other life-changing events that came after that. It's easy to say, oh, those were the good old days, when I was so young and my children were so sweet, but to tell the truth, my life is a lot more complicated now than it was then, but it is ever so much happier.

1 comment:

  1. mmmmmmmmm it can be kind of odd to look back and see yourself as you were *then* and how much things have changed.

    Hope DS enjoys it and the wedding all goes well.

    ReplyDelete