Saturday, April 4, 2009

Christmas in April

What is this you ask? Why of course, it is the pattern for the last Easter dress. Last night I was looking for the pattern pieces so I could psych myself up for cutting out E's dress. The pieces have been all over the family room where my sewing machine is and I didn't want to lose any of them. I asked the girls to look for them with me and S sheepishly handed me the two now sitting on the bodice piece. She had crumpled them up, put them in a glass of water, then chewed on the left one. I tried teasing the right hand one open but you can see it was really hopeless from the beginning. I was unbelievably ticked off, but all I did was speak very, very firmly to her and send her to her room. No yelling, certainly no spanking.

I really didn't know what to do--just not make the third dress? Give S's dress to E? Try to use another size from the same pattern to make the right size for E? Buy another pattern? I decided I'd better sleep on it and in the morning I decided to buy another pattern if one still was available and if not, try to approximate the right size from the existing pattern pieces. In the end Walmart still had the pattern in stock and I bought another one. I finished the hand work on the second one while I watched General Conference on TV today, so now I just have to make the last one. I still have no idea what possessed S to think dunking and chewing on the pattern pieces was a good idea.

Yes, it was like Christmas in April at Walmart this afternoon. There were a stunning number of people in the store, 98% of them locals, which is normal on Saturday afternoon and it was like a weekend in December in any other Walmart. I almost never go on Saturday afternoon because of the crush of people, but I wanted to get there before Sunday and I couldn't go earlier. Almost every one of the 36 checkout stands was open and each had a line 4-5 carts deep and those carts were PILED. Luckily we happened to get in a quick-check line that "only" took about 10 minutes to get through. It was crazy and I thought I was used to how our Walmart is.

Other than getting the pattern, the other reason I wanted to go shopping was because I needed to prepare for the semi-annual sundae bust at the A house. I always get sundae fixings for the guys to have after the Priesthood session of General Conference and although the situation was a little different this year I decided to do it anyway.

We received an ad from Baskin-Robbins a couple of days ago and the girls wouldn't let me throw it away because they've been enjoying looking at the ice cream concoctions depicted in it. They wanted the ice cream cake roll that is decorated like a rabbit and they wanted the chocolate M&M sundae. I wasn't about to get into making an ice cream roll, but I could oblige with the M&M sundae. I don't have a pretty parfait glass, but you can see what I did for S's M&M sundae.

I bought waffle bowls and the rest of us had our sundaes in them. Nice and crunchy and very tasty.








2 comments:

  1. I certainly wish I were there for the ice cream! Instead I was in down town L. A. with your brother, having him pay off his debt to me for losing a silly bet. Still, I enjoyed the steak at his expense!

    See ya soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I certainly wish I were there for the ice cream! Instead I was in down town L. A. with your brother, having him pay off his debt to me for losing a silly bet. Still, I enjoyed the steak at his expense!

    See ya soon!

    ReplyDelete