Thursday, April 18, 2013

Peanut butter and cereal candy

My dad used to make this candy frequently and it was a favorite of my older children as he'd often have a pan of it waiting for them when we arrived at his house.  I've made it a few times, but one of the ingredients (Special K cereal) is expensive and almost never goes on sale, and since I'm more of a budget baker, it kind of fell off my idea list.

Several years ago I found a recipe for a peanut butter Cheerios candy and when I made it I realized it was the same as my dad's candy, but with Cheerios instead of Special K.

Guess what was on sale this week?
Cheerios and peanut butter.

Here is the recipe:

Mix in a saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring frequently:

1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup corn syrup

Remove from heat.  Stir in:

1 1/2 cups peanut butter
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt

Pour over 5 cups Special K (or Cheerios or another cereal) and mix, then pat into a buttered 9 x 13 pan.  Cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment