Friday, June 8, 2012

This is not the quilt top picture I thought I was going to post today

I finished the "medallion" (center) of the patriotic quilt a week or so ago, but needed to add a border of red, then a border of blue to complete the top.

My math skills were atrocious and I sewed pieces onto my border strips I didn't need, then had to tear out the seam or cut them off.  I will say I made all my precision cuts accurately though.  You know the old saying--Measure twice, cut once?  It is true and it works.  :-)

So here is the quilt top:
Why is it folded up for storage instead of being sandwiched with batting and a backing?

Why??

Because my 31 year old workhorse of a sewing machine is on the fritz!  The last time I used it I heard some alarming squeals from the wheel part on the right.  I opened it up and took a look around but you could put what I know about sewing machines in a thimble and still have room for your big toe.  I oiled it and closed it back up and it seemed to be working a little better.

Today it went back to its squeaks and squeals, then finally all but froze up.  I had about 2-1/2 feet left to sew of the final border piece, so I tried turning the wheel by hand, but it was almost impossible, so I gave up.

Tomorrow's duty is to take it to a repair shop. 

Here is the old girl in all her glory:

No comments:

Post a Comment