Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Getting ready for pioneer days


I'm psyching myself up for a trip to Nauvoo, Illinois this summer to see pioneer things. To get ourselves in the mood, I decided to make sunbonnets to wear when we get there. Gotta have a costume, right? So why not have one that is also practical? I explained to the girls that girls and women wore sunbonnets back then because 1)they didn't have sunscreen and 2)they didn't have sunglasses.

I found a pattern and instructions on the MotherEarthNews website. The article was posted in the 1970s and the author assumes you know a lot about basic sewing. Once I figured it all out it wasn't hard to make at all, but it took quite a bit of reading and rereading to understand the directions.

I know, I know, the fabric is very UNpioneerish. I had this fabric from some pants I made 23 y/o ds last year. Just kidding. I made them when he was 18 months old. :-) But don't you think the pioneers would approve of using something already on hand?

So here is E's very modern pioneer sunbonnet:



1 comment: