Monday, March 1, 2010

I bought poop

I could have put a more graphic title there, but that wouldn't have been ladylike now, would it?

The past few years I've had a garden I've done something every year to improve the soil. I have a new garden area this year because we moved last summer. It's a deep flower bed on the south side of the house with clay soil that has had some sand (I think) added over the years. IOW, not the worst soil, but nothing crawling or moving in it either. Saturday we went to Home Depot and bought 3 cubic feet of "deodorized" composted steer manure. Yeah, I bought poop.

I poured both bags over the dug up dirt, then dug and raked it all together. In some of it I also put some partially-composted kitchen scraps. I put that pretty deep to give it time to finish decomposing. Overall the planting bed looks good and certainly much lighter than it did before I started.

Here is what we are starting in pots. It's certainly nothing made beautiful, but we also didn't have to buy any new pots or planting mix. We already had old pots and some opened bags of potting mix and used those. There are tomatoes, basil, cantaloupe, and watermelon seeds in these pots.I was waiting to amend the soil before planting spinach. I planted 4 rows, each about two feet long. I've never grown spinach, but my family likes it both fresh in salads and lightly steamed so let's see what comes up and if there is enough to eat. To be honest, my gardening attempts of the past couple of years have been relatively unfulfilling due to difficult gardening conditions where we lived in New Mexico. They are a bit difficult here too because it is really hot in the summer, although the growing season is long. I look forward to figuring it all out.

No comments:

Post a Comment