Sunday, March 14, 2010

Homemade Whole Wheat Pizza

I have a lot of wheat stored. Hundreds of pounds, actually, and I'm always looking for ways to incorporate it into our family's diet. I love the nutrition and fiber it adds to everyday foods.

We have pizza every week and it's almost always homemade. With with a 2 liter bottle of rootbeer purchased on sale, I can feed my family all the pizza and rootbeer they can hold for less than $5. Try THAT at a pizza joint!


1 1/2 cups warm water (105-115 degrees F)
1 1/2 pkg active dry yeast (about 3 Tsp unless you live at a high altitude, then you you can reduce the amount)
4 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
3 Tablespoons sugar
1 tsp salt
3 Tablespoons oil (I use olive oil)

Dissolve yeast in water and let stand 5 minutes. Stir in flour, sugar, salt, and oil. Knead until it forms a smooth ball. Let rise in a greased, covered bowl in a warm place until doubled. Pat dough in a greased pizza pan, pressing dough up on sides.

Add toppings. Bake at 450 degrees F about 10 minutes.

The toppings on this pizza are:

Ranch dressing
Ricotta (homemade)
Spinach


I was a little disappointed at how the spinach came out. I'm still trying figure out how restaurants do it, but despite looking a little dry, it cooked nicely and was easy to eat. It was delicious!


Another great blog about saving money on food is Life As Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment