Saturday, May 9, 2009

Flea market and carnival

We'll be leaving our town soon and I realized I haven't brought any local jewelry for myself. I've bought it for others, but nothing for me. The best place to get such things is at the Saturday flea market. After the Mother's Day brunch at church for the girls and me, and the library program at the children's library for the girls, we went to the flea market. I couldn't believe how far out the cars were parked on the side of the road! Turned out there was a carnival going on in the narrow field across from the market. It was a good one, too, with a Tilt-A-Whirl, Egg Scrambler, good-sized Ferris Wheel, a Zipper, a huge slide, about five kiddie rides, and a lot more for adults, including trailers with various fried foods and carnival games like a quarter toss. We didn't plan to spend any money there, but it was fun to walk through it. I'd imagine it is hopping right now as it's after 8 pm.

The flea market was packed. The only booths missing were most of the ones selling pirated videos and games. One was there. The rest got scared off last week when they arrested several of the vendors. I was surprised to see the one this week. I looked at lots of jewelry but although the girls behaved very well, it was really hard to concentrate on finding something while worrying one of them might wander. I didn't end up with any this time. I did find an inexpensive sun hat. I've been looking for one for a year or so and this one fit the bill. I really need to keep my face out of the sun a little more.

I also bought some toiletry kinds of items at a booth I'd never seen before. Everything was a dollar and almost everything appeared to be brand name items that were store returns or some kind of remaindered product. Most packages were a little beat up, but they looked to be sealed. I got several items that caught my eye.

I always buy a soda at the market, so when I found a booth selling them for fifty cents I got us each one. I resisted buying some fry bread because although the girls would have been the ones ingesting all that fat, it just seemed like a mess for them. Plus all the stands selling them had a line.

It was a fun day.

No comments:

Post a Comment