Friday, October 28, 2011

My Mediterranean breakfast

I've been threatening to post this for awhile, but was having problems getting the picture off the camera. Not that I can remember this particular incident, but years ago (about 32 . . . ) I got my friend Wayne to try some yogurt. Apparently I was unwise and gave him some plain yogurt. I don't even like that stuff normally, so I don't know why I would have done that, but word has it I did.

Unfortunately that put him into a yogurt funk and it was about 25 years before he tried it again. Happily, his wife or some other wonderful person gave him some of the stuff loaded with sugar and fruit and he rightly found it to be quite a treat.

Lately I've fallen in love with Greek-style yogurt. It is super thick and creamy, with a nice protein and calcium content since all it really is is strained regular yogurt.

I tried this slow cooker yogurt recipe because I can make half a gallon of yogurt at once. With that quantity I don't mind draining out some of the liquid because I still have a number of servings even once a lot of the whey is gone.

To strain it, I put a thin tea towel in a colander and just dumped in the finished half gallon of yogurt. I let it stand for 3 or 4 hours, then scraped it into a container and refridgerated it. Delicious and cheaper than buying it in the store!


The day I took this picture I was feeling especially Mediterranean with my figs and honey drizzled over my Greek-style yogurt. It was one of my favorite breakfasts of the past month or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment