Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Pantry Challenge

I'm combining the Pantry Challenge with $5 Dollar Dinner weekly menu and shopping list. Good deal for me all around, as I have been COMPLETELY out of fresh ideas for meals. They have been dull, dull, dull around here and I'll be the first to acknowledge that fact.

Tonight was Baked Italian Chicken which is another version of a long-time favorite of ours. The only difference is this recipe calls for baking the chicken and I put mine in the slow cooker.
I did it in the oven though, because I also served this delicious rice casserole with it, and it called for oven baking as well.
The only thing I had to buy for this dinner was the chicken. I bought fresh, large boneless, skinless chicken breasts at Albertson's for $2.49/lb and used about $6 worth. The recipe called for Italian dressing which I didn't have, but I have an Italian dressing recipe in my More Make-A-Mix Cookery
More Make-A-Mix cookbook that I used.

I didn't have the instant brown rice the side dish called for, but I cooked up some regular brown rice, then reduced the water in the recipe by 1/2 cup and stirred in the cooked rice. I also had fresh spinach on hand and used a reduced amount of that.

Both dishes were a hit with my family and I'm sure dh is still trying to figure out what has gotten in to me to actually be cooking and to have them be meals starring meat. I know he's happy though.

Prep Time:20 min
Start to Finish:1 hr
makes:8 servings (1 cup each)
2 teaspoons olive oil
3 medium carrots, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
2/3 cup chopped celery
1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 3/4 cups water
1 can (10 3/4 oz) condensed 98% fat-free cream of mushroom soup (I used cream of chicken soup)
2 boxes (9 oz each) Green Giant® frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained (I used about 5 oz fresh baby spinach)
1 1/2 cups uncooked instant brown rice
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup diced cooked ham (I left this out)
3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese (3 oz)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

1. Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray.
2. In 3-quart saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add carrots, celery, onion and garlic; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add water and soup; heat to boiling. Add spinach, rice, Italian seasoning and pepper; return to boiling. Remove from heat; stir in ham, 1/4 cup of the Cheddar cheese and the Parmesan cheese. Spread in baking dish. Cover with foil.
3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese. Let stand uncovered 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment