Monday, October 26, 2009

Bulgogi and a triumph

BULGOGI (Korean Beef Dish)
1 lb. London Broil
2 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tbsp. sesame seed oil
2 cloves garlic
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 tbsp. sugar
Slice the beef thin. Mix the above ingredients and marinatethe beef in this for 20 minutes or longer if time permits. Cook the beef in a frying pan or for a better smoked flavor, cook it over a barbecue grill.


One of my students told me she liked to add slivers of onion so I added that after I mixed everything. This recipe didn't create the strong flavor I prefer, so I might try something different next time. One thing I did was cook the meat in a small pan on the stove instead of quickly stir frying it. That let me cook it with no additional fat, but since some of the water steamed out of the meat and didn't evaporate, I think it diluted some of the flavor. It was still delicious. The side dish was cucumber with seasoned rice vinegar and I had a glass of orange juice with it.

The triumph came from one of my students today. She told me she was an honored guest at a dinner last night for a group of foreign diplomats. On a moment's notice she was asked to make a short speech to the gathered audience . . . in English. I'll bet her heart about stopped! She repeated her speech to me and it was short, to the point, and just wonderful! I felt like a proud parent and actually had a tear in my eye. She told me she kept thinking of me and hoping my power of English would be with her. :-D

1 comment:

  1. how wonderful she could make a speech.........what a great job you are doing!!

    ReplyDelete