Monday, February 14, 2011

My Son's Gotcha Day


Dear L,

I think of you every year on Valentine's Day because February 14th is David's "Gotcha Day," or the day we brought him home from the hospital. I don't know if you knew that. I went to the hospital in the morning because they were giving me a crash course that day in infant and preemie care. I also gave him a bath, which he heartily did NOT appreciate! By mid-afternoon he was ready and he was packed into his version 1.0 infant seat. Those seats sure were basic in those days!

I had a little crib set up for him in the living room because that's where his oxygen was and it was a small place so he would have been close no matter where he was in the apartment. He was so little and cute! My friend came over that afternoon to see him. She came in, but because of germs, etc., I held him up to the front window for her little children to admire, just like you would in the hospital nursery window.

I was really excited to finally be a mother, thanks to your infinitely generous gift. He is a wonderful son and I'm so glad we connected with each other, L.

Katie


This response came a couple of days later:

Hi Katie,

This was the best story and made my day. Thank you for sharing it with me. What a precious image of the day you brought David home. David and I have an ongoing texting conversation and keeping in touch. I've enjoyed getting to know him. I hope you are doing well. Take care,L.

No comments:

Post a Comment