Friday, February 4, 2011

My smart chicken

I'll bet those three words aren't often written in the same sentence!

The other night we were just sitting down to dinner when Toek, my Plymouth Barred Rock (black and white) came up on the back patio. First of all, it's rare to see only one of the girls by herself because they really prefer to hang in a flock. She walked right up to the closed sliding glass door and pecked at it--something she has never done before!

I immediately knew she wanted help so dh and I headed out to see what was going on. Her needs were simple; it was getting dark and her sisters had flown up into the coop and were on their roost, but Toek couldn't/didn't want to fly up into the coop. She allowed me to lift her up, which told me how badly she wanted to join them, because the Barred Rocks are the least pick-me-up chickens of the four.

Considering how little brain power chickens have, I was impressed that she knew she had to come ask for help. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment