Sunday, April 11, 2010

My little garden will soon be ready to plant

I'm hoping to grow everything from seeds this year and avoid the cost of ready-to-plant veggies and fruits.

I planted using old pots, foam cups, and veggie six-packs and used one of two open bags of potting mix. No out of pocket except for most of the seeds.

So far I have:

cucumbers
pumpkins
cantaloupe
watermelon
cherry tomatoes

and

butternut squash

I wrote the butternut squash last because I'm so pleased about it. I cut open a squash for dinner and looked at all those delectable seeds just waiting to be planted. I took them right out and planted two cups. They came up quickly. I do wonder about hybridization, etc, but we'll just see what they produce.

Here are two shots of the same plants almost ready for planting:

Despite living in hot Arizona, the way my yard is situated, I don't have a lot of space to plant. This is my first year in this house and I think next year I'll tear out a bit of lawn for planting. But that's NEXT year.

Except for the tomatoes (they're small because I had to replant them), the seedlings go into the ground this week.

This post is linked to $5 Dinners.

No comments:

Post a Comment