Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Sister Wives

TLC network has a new show called Sister Wives. Yes, it's about a polygamous family. Right at the beginning the husband makes it clear they are not part of the LDS Mormons and points out that the relationship between their group and the LDS Church is like that of Catholics and Protestants. What I'm finding interesting is how some of their practices ARE like LDS Mormon practices. When they say prayers together as a family at night or before meals, they sound exactly like the prayers my own family says. I saw on the wall of one of the wives' apartment The Family: A Proclamation to the World, which was written and is distributed by my LDS Church.

A number of years ago when I was going to the University of Utah in Salt Lake City, one of my classmates belonged to the same group the Sister Wives belong to. She told me they had most of the same programs our church did, and in fact, bought many of the church instruction manuals they used from MY church. I was really surprised! The FLDS Church you see on TV has a different doctrine all together and really has no connection at all to my church, and that was what I was more familiar with.

So it was weird to have this other polygamous church actually share some of our doctrine with us--but definitely NOT the doctrine on polygamy! No polygamy now or in the future, thank you very much! And dh agrees with that 1000%!

No comments:

Post a Comment