Thursday, February 11, 2010

"Bring your favorite Valentine treat"


That's what the invitation to our monthly church ladies' meeting said. Unless I find a box of See's candy lying around, I won't be bringing my favorite. But in my email today I found this recipe for brownie hearts. I have a huge stash of brownie mixes so I didn't make it from scratch, although I could have. Don't you think this will be a nice dish to bring?

Here is my funny for the day: last night's dinner. C has gone on a cooking spree lately, wanting to help me cook and wanting to make things on her own. I actually see a budding chef because she doesn't care much about recipes and prefers to make things up as she goes, out of what she has on hand.

This is the recipe card she wrote out, but it's not all she put in. As close as I can recall, these were the ingredients:

water
potato soup base (1 teaspoon)
potato cubes
an asparagus spear, broken into pieces
"lettuce" which thankfully turned out to be greens so it held up after boiling
carrot slices
peas
bay leaves--one for each person so that was six
salt and pepper
a pinch of brown sugar
a LOT of cinnamon

She was pretty pleased with it. Thank goodness I suggested she make some Ritz-cracker-and-peanut-butter sandwiches to go along with her soup. Honestly, if she'd left the cinnamon out it wouldn't have been too bad. She and I were the only ones who finished our soup. She, from pride of ownership and I, from the habit of eating what I'm served and not wanting to hurt her feelings. I did suggest that next time I'd probably leave out the cinnamon.

Edited to add: I can't say my Valentine treats are quite as beautiful as the ones on the Kraft website, but considering mine are only about 2" across and thus the frosting hard to get even, I think they turned out really nicely and I'll be glad to bring them along tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment