Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Dinner not really out of the pantry

For New Year's Day dh made a perfect standing rib roast. It was truly delicious and the best he has ever made. We had leftovers that needed to be eaten.

Tuesday night I made sublime French Dip sandwiches. It was simple: I made au jus by mixing 3 cups of water with a tablespoon of good boullion and sprinkling in some dehydrated onions. Then I thinly sliced some of the boneless beef into the au jus. I sliced four buns, buttered and toasted them, then piled on the beef. I sliced each one on the diagonal into two halves, then gave half to each dd and half to my mom. (They are all small eaters). Dh and I each had a whole sandwich. I poured the au jus into custard cups and served it on the side. It was absolutely delicious.

Tonight I made beef soup from the leftover beef that was on the bone. I boiled the beef for a bit, then removed it from the bones and chopped it up a bit and returned it to the broth. Again I added some of the boullion (how do you spell that anyway?), then some potatoes, carrots, and celery (purchased last night). I thought "beef and barley soup" sounded good, but I didn't have any barley, so I sprinkled in some cracked wheat I had in the cupboard. That turned out well and I'll add some wheat like that again.

With the soup I served some light sourdough bread from my freezer, buttered and toasted. It all was a hit.

I went shopping at Fry's today. There wasn't much I wanted so it helped me not add a lot to my stockpile. I got:

4 boxes of Special K @$1.99/ea -2 B1G1F mqs = <$1/box because they gave me the pre-discounted price on the mqs
4 boxes of Kashi Crisp @ $2.29/ea - 3 $1/1 and 1 $3/1 = $0.79/ea
Yoplait x8 to use a $1/8 mq = $0.32/ea

Total: about $7.50

On top of that it was "Senior Citizen 10% off day" (first Wednesday of each month). But "This Gal"!!! You aren't a senior citizen . . . yet! Right, but I brought my mom along, a newly minted 76 year old and SHE got the senior discount. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment